Below, find helpful answers to questions you have about the City of Monroe. For questions not addressed on this page, contact City Hall at 641-259-2319.

Parks and Recreation

Q. How can I rent the Community Building?
A. Contact City Hall at 641-259-2319.

Public Works

Q. I just moved to town. Who do I contact to set up my water service?
A. Contact City Hall at 641-259-2319. 

Q. Who do I contact to set up my garbage service?
A. Contact City Hall at 641-259-2319. Click here for more information about Monroe’s garbage collection service.

Q. Who do I contact to set up my electric and gas?
A. MidAmerican Energy provides electricity and gas for the City of Monroe.

Q. Does the City of Monroe offer recycling?
A. Yes. Click here for more information.

Q. When is garbage picked up? Is there a limit to the number of garbage cans I can set out?
A. Garbage collection is scheduled for every Wednesday. Each resident is allowed one garbage and one recycling container. There is an additional cost for an additional tote. Please contact City Hall at 641-259-2319 to make arrangements.

Q. I have an old couch I need to get rid of. What do I do with it?
A. You need to contact Midwest Sanitation at 888-428-2610.  For more information about Monroe’s garbage collection service contact city hall at 641-259-2311.

Q. How do I get rid of old refrigerators or appliances?
A. You will need to contact Midwest Sanitation at 888-428-2610.

Q. How do I get rid of yard waste?
A. Monroe offers a yard waste collection service as well as a brush dump for citizens to drop off there yard debris. For more information contact city hall.

Licenses, Permits, Registration, Etc.

Q. Do I need a building permit?
A. Contact City Hall at 641-259-2319 with all questions regarding building permits.

Q. I want to plant a tree (or dig a hole). Who should I call?
A. Please contact Iowa One Call at 811 or 1-800-292-8989 at least 48 hours in advance. They will schedule to locate all power lines, cables, and water and sewer lines. If you plan to plant the tree in a City Right of Way, contact City Hall for a street tree permit.

Q. How do I get a license for my pet?
A. Pets over the age of six months need to be licensed. City Hall issues pet licenses that can be renewed annually. Licenses are $10, and a copy of your pet’s rabies certificate is required. Licenses are due between January 1st and April 1st of each year. There is an additional $10 penalty after April 1st.

Q. Where can I get my driver’s license?
A. Driver’s licenses are issued at the Jasper County Treasurer’s Office in Newton, or at the Department of Transportation offices in Des Moines.

Q. Where do I register my vehicle?
A. Vehicle registration is issued at the Jasper County Treasurer’s Office in Newton.

Q. Where do I get birth certificates, death certificates, marriage licenses, hunting and fishing licenses, and boat, ATV, and snowmobile registration?
A. These are issued through the Jasper County Recorder’s Office in Newton.


Q. Where can I register to vote?
A. Voter registration forms may be picked up at City Hall, or you can contact the Jasper County Auditor’s Office in Newton.

Q.  Where do I vote?
A. Voting is typically held at the City Hall Community Building located at 206 W. Sherman St

Community Resources

Q. Who do I call for cable television service?
A. Mediacom is the cable provider in Monroe.

Q. Who can I contact for Internet service?
A. Internet is available through Mediacom or Windstream.

Q. Who can I contact for telephone service?
A. Telephone service is available through Windstream.

Q. Do the police unlock vehicles?
A. The Monroe Police Department does provide a unlock service on vehicles with a signed waiver.

Q. What kinds of regulations are there on dogs and cats?
A. All pets are required to be under their owner’s control at all times. Pets should be on a leash or confined in a home or yard.  A residence is allowed a maximum of five dogs and cats over the age of six months, provided that no more than three of the animals are dogs.

Q. What could cause a water bill to be higher than normal?
A. Leaking faucets or toilets can cause an increase in your water bill. To check water leaks in your toilet, add a few drops of food coloring to the toilet tank during a period of time that the toilet will not be used. If food coloring shows up in the bowl, you have a leak and will need to make a repair.